About Our Blades
In perfect symmetry with our handcrafted exotic wood handles, our cutlery products are made with individually hand-forged Japanese stainless steel or carbon-forged blades that are among the sharpest, most precise cutting instruments in the world.
In order to provide the very best in quality, along with a wide array of customization options, we have developed collaborative relationships with some of the most renowned master bladesmiths in Japan, each of whom create blades that are distinctive to their "hand" in steel specializations or aesthetic characteristics.
Sought after for their incomparable quality, our collaboration blades are known for their striking beauty, innovative textures, precision edges, and gorgeous finishes. No two blades are identical, but every blade is remarkable!
Because we have personally traveled to Japan to meet with our bladesmiths and have seen the care and quality that goes into every hand-forged blade, we know we are working with artisans who are as dedicated to their craft as we are to ours. Having developed personal relationship with the world's best bladesmiths, we have the ability to design and create custom blades in any variety of sizes, styles, and functions using the best steels and most creative finish techniques available.
We proudly offer a wide variety of customizable blade options with either our collaboration or small production blades. Please refer to the following list for some of the steels and finishes available. We welcome all inquiries and will gladly explain what makes each unique and different, as well as assist with making blade recommendations. Please contact us if you need additional information or assistance.
- R2 Clad (no pattern on blade); powder metal die Stainless Steel
- VG10 Stainless Steel
- SG2 Stainless Steel
- Aogami Super Clad (carbon steel cutting edge with stainless steel sides)
- YSS White Paper Shirogami Carbon Steel aka "Shirogami" Steel
- YSS Blue Paper Aogami Carbon Steel aka "Aogami" Steel
Collaboration Finish Techniques
- Damascus Pattern
- Damascus with Hammer Forging Marks
- Black Hammered Damascus
- Black Matte
- Traditional Polish
- Mirrored Polish
- Acid-Etched Damascus
- Satin Clad
Collaboration Style Options
- Single or Double Bevel (Single-sided or double-sided cutting edge. Most Western-style blades are double bevel and can be used either left- or right-handed; therefore, knives shown throughout our site are double bevel unless otherwise noted.)
- Left-Handed Single Bevel available by special order
- "Wa" Style (partial tang)
- Blade Lengths: 3.5" to 15"
- We offer a wide selection of blade functions. Please let us assist with selecting the correct blade style for the intended home kitchen or outdoor usage.
Small Production Blade Options
We offer a limited number of "small production" blades paired with our exquisite, fully handcrafted koa handles to provide some more affordable blade options. These blades are made in Japan by small production firms under the guidance and tutelage of a master bladesmith. Many hand processes are used; however, they differ from our collaboration blades in that they are not individually hand-forged by a single bladesmith.
We are very pleased with the quality, sharpness, durability, and edge retention of our small production blades. They are extremely sharp and exceptionally beautiful. Throughout our site, knives and sets made with these blades will be indicated "small production" in our product specifications. For custom ordering small production blades, we offer the following options.
- VG10 Stainless Steel with Damascus Pattern
- ZDP-189 Stainless Steel with Damascus Pattern
- ZDP-189 Stainless Steel with Polished Finish
A Note about 'Handmade' Claims
Blades that are truly handmade from forging through finishing--as ours are--take weeks of individualized, hands-on processing by a master bladesmith. While many knife companies boast 'handmade' claims, they are usually referring to blades that are primarily made by machine but have some minor portion of the process done by hand. Before purchasing any handmade knife, be sure to verify whether the seller is using manufactured blades with minimal handwork, or if they are using blades, such as our collaboration blades, that are individually hand-forged from start to finish using ancient master smithing techniques that require years of apprenticeship and specialized qualifications to perfect.